Outline abstracts or other short descriptions (not exceeding 400 words) are invited for contributions to a forthcoming special issue of The International Journal of Drug Policy on “Women and Harm Reduction: Spanning the Globe.”
Women and Harm Reduction: Spanning the Globe
Susan Sherman, Adeeba bte Kamarulzaman and Patti Spittal
The issue aims to examine:
Ø the unique factors (e.g. cultural, relational, legal or economic) that contribute to women's use of psychoactive drugs (licit and illicit);
Ø the stigma associated with women's drug use;
Ø proximal and distal effects of drug use on the lives of women drug users as well as drug users’ female sexual partners;
Ø examine patterns of use and consequences of different types of drugs (e.g. ATS, alcohol, opiates);
Ø to explore the effects of different types of drugs;
Ø to examine gender-related policies regarding harm reduction services and treatment; and
Ø to examine innovative programs targeting women drug users.
The issue aims to include work representing a range of geographic regions (e.g. former Soviet Union, Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Europe/North America).
Papers must be relevant to harm reduction and policy.
We invite several types of contribution:
- Scientific review papers (max 8,000 words)
- Original research papers (3,000 – 7,000 words)
- Short research reports (up to 1500 words)
- Descriptions of interesting (positive or negative) programmes or policies (2,000 – 5,000 words)
- Descriptions of problems (e.g. structural barriers) in gaining access to needed services or programmes (2,000 – 5,000 words)
- Policies and/or historical analyses (3,000 – 7,000 words)
- Commentaries (max 4,000 words)
- Editorials (1,500 - 2,500 words)
The deadline for outline abstracts is September 23, 2006.
Outline abstracts should be sent to email@example.com. If selected for submission, the deadline for completion of draft contributions will be in December, 2006. Submissions will be made on the Elsevier on-line electronic submission system and will be subject to peer-review.
Susan G. Sherman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pattricia Spittal, email@example.com
Adeeba bte Kamarulzaman , ADEEBA@ummc.edu.my